NOTE:

This began as a Lenten blog-- a goal to write every day for 40 days during Lent. I failed miserabley and only wrote for about two weeks. But I'm keeping the blog up for my random spurts of writing that I want to share with my friends all over the world.

So here 'goes. A blog full of craziness, absurdity, and sass. Full of poetry, fiction, and non-fiction all inspired by my life.

18 February 2010

(Lent)il Soup

Just wanted to clear something up. I know what Lent is in religion. It apparently appeared to some from my last post that I did not. I understand it's all about Jesus and sacrifice and becoming closer to God and what-not. I understand this tradition, and I know there are many other Christian denominations besides Catholicism that practice Lent, including United Methodist. We might not rub ash on our foreheads, but we can practice Lent for the same reasons as Catholics.

However, I think that many people, like me, have taken a religious tradition and used it in a secular way. For many people, Lent has become a challenge, much like a new year's resolution. It has become a reason for people to challenge themselves to give up a vice that might make them healthier or help them lose weight, etc. Although I am not a very religious person and I don't necessarily see my Lenten goal as a way to be closer to God, I do in fact KNOW where the Lenten tradition originates and how and why Catholics and other Christians practice Lent.

On another note, today felt like spring. It was only 35 degrees out, but it was it just felt like spring somehow. As I was walking to class, the sun was out, and birds were chirping, the air was cold but balmy, and snow was melting. It's days like these that get me through winter and keep me looking forward to spring. And I love spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment