NOTE:

This began as a Lenten blog-- a goal to write every day for 40 days during Lent. I failed miserabley and only wrote for about two weeks. But I'm keeping the blog up for my random spurts of writing that I want to share with my friends all over the world.

So here 'goes. A blog full of craziness, absurdity, and sass. Full of poetry, fiction, and non-fiction all inspired by my life.

21 February 2010

Just Call Me Evander Holyfield

Guys, I almost lost my ear this weekend. Seriously.

My roommate Katie and I were getting in the car after an impromptu spin around Goodwill where we each bought a $5 sweatshirt which, if you ask me, is pretty steep, and where Katie also bought an owl statue for her collection. (Every time we/I've been to a thrift store in the last year, we've been able to find some sort of owl statue or art. It's inevitable. I'm not sure if there was an owl fad in the 1970s or what, but if you've noticed, the owl fad is making a comeback. I now own a Fossil wallet with an owl on it, and a sterling silver own necklace. Everywhere you go, you can find owls on tshirts, pencil cases, and PJ pants. Owls are definitely making a comeback). I was very tempted to buy a sweet greet ottoman, but I knew we didn't have room for it, and I knew I wouldn't have room to bring it to Florida in May.

Anyway, after Katie and I made our purchases, we left the store and entered the bright sunny day outside. As we got in the car to drive to Aldi for groceries, I was bending to sit in the driver's seat, when my door started to close on me without my realizing it. Well, long story short, my ear caught on the door and I immediately started howling with pain. I almost started crying tears from my eyes. I just kept shouting "Katie! I hit my ear! Owwwwww!" over and over for about five minutes until the pain began to subside.

It didn't bruise, but each time now that I talk on the phone or wake after sleeping on my left side, I can feel my ear begin to throb again. It is NOT fun.

Well, we proceeded to Aldi, which made me feel like I was in Ireland, and I got all nostalgic. We plugged a quarter into the cart, filled our re-usable bags with eggs and milk and other cheap cheap staples, and left the store with nearly all of our groceries (excluding the brand-name cereal and produce that we would later get at Meijer) for less than $50. Woot! I even got coconut shrimp, and I can't wait to eat it.

On another note, I am on a country kick today. I used to be a total country girl back in my middle to early high school years, and though my tastes have changed a bit, I will always have a place in my heart for my Lonestar and Dixie Chicks and Jessica Andrews and Brad Paisley and the like. It's comforting to know that even now, when I turn on the country station, I am sure to hear a few songs I know. Country changes and evolves very slowly, and they still play songs on the radio from 15 or 20 years ago, and it's wonderful. Sometimes I just need a little twang in my life to remind me of my childhood-- to remind me of a ride in the boat up north, floating along, bathing in bug spray and sunscreen and the warm Wisconsin sun with nothing to worry about except whether to have watermelon or pineapple with my dinner. Ahh, those were the days...

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHA

    I wish I had been there to point and laugh when you seriously injured yo ear.

    ReplyDelete